2011年5月8日 星期日

A Brand by Any Other Name

I hesitate to criticize or incriminate, so I will have to leave all identifying details out of this entry. I imagine that this "leak" may inspire legal action (my mindset reflects my thorough indoctrination as a born and bred American...). Going along with this caveat is the friends/location I cannot identify along with the actual information regarding coffee.

On a purely theoretical level, if I may, I was intrigued on a recent trip by a coffee shop that uses cup sleeves from other establishments. My friends are regulars there, and the service is efficient and friendly, generous and professional. The coffee is the right temperature, flavor, and impact (knock your socks off and peel your eyes open). Nothing else would distinguish this place from any other of its caliber. However, one is temporary amused and disoriented by the cup sleeves that bear logos of nearby purveyors.

Sourcing is one issue -- strike one in the legal world. One wonders where the management procure all of these holders. Are they made, as many things in Asia are, to order by the "generic cup sleeve factory"--discards or extras from orders by other companies? Certainly one possibility, if the coffee shop owner is a friend or relative of the cup sleeve factory owner/manager.

Another problem is the ethics of advertising. One could say that sitting in Store A, enjoying a perfectly brewed cuppa, there is little temptation to visit Store B, as advertised on the cup sleeve. In fact, one may be so glad not to be at Store B and at Store A instead. That could be one way of promoting Store A. However, since the cup sleeves are intended to strengthen the bond between customer and said store, our anonymous Store A could be accused of contravening and downright distorting that process.

All philosophical musings aside, I admire the ingenuity and pragmatism of Store A. I will sometimes keep cup sleeves with unusual logos or that are associated with special memories. However, most are dutifully placed in the paper recycling bin, to be reincarnated again and again.

沒有留言:

張貼留言