2012年3月12日 星期一

Vicarious Coffee

For reasons to be revealed later, I will not be able to drink as much coffee as I like this year. In fact, I am back in a position that I never anticipated (or at least hoped and prayed to avoid) after my second year as a doctoral student during which I valiantly (and quite ridiculously, in hindsight) attempted to give up coffee. At that time, I thought that I could calm my nerves and perform better on my qualifying exams by taking control of my happy addiction to the c. bean. I quit nearly cold turkey and spent several months experiencing a yet more thrilling psychological state than just being perpetually hyperactive from the caffeine buzz. I learned my lesson after my resolve broke down (disintegrated, to be direct) and went back to coffee right after the qualifying exam was over.
This time, with my capacity for drinking already much diminished, I am going to take things as slowly as possible. I have already given up espressos, afternoon coffee, and even a properly strong brew of exquisite beans (thanks to E.L. of New York -- must post about that later). My mug may now contain one paltry serving of weak brown water, but I shall try to keep up my enthusiasm for coffee through sight and smell, if not taste.

2 則留言:

  1. Consider the cup top filter, or "chemex" type brew. I've had this a few times at high end coffee places and in my experience it is a weak brew that maximizes the flavor of the beans but might be easier on your body than a thick espresso or even a french press brewing. I just went to a new place near the mid-level escalator called the Rabbit Hole that takes coffee brewing very seriously. Their filtered brew was tasty enough that I decided to buy myself a cup top filter for my home! I don't think this is a new method, but one that is new to me.

    回覆刪除
  2. thank you, cha bing. in fact, my cousins gave me a chemex for the winter holidays last year, and i used it once to serve coffee for a dinner gathering. it brewed very well, preserving the essential "coffee flavor" and in ample quantity for several drinkers. the constraints on my coffee consumption will be more long-term but a worthy sacrifice.
    i haven't heard of the rabbit hole but i'll definitely try it if i can cross over to hong kong island some time. thanks again!

    回覆刪除